Friday, July 9, 2010

For all the choco-holics out there...

Today is my husband's 22nd birthday! I had time before work this morning to make him his favorite chocolate cake... and when I say his favorite chocolate cake, I really mean MY favorite chocolate cake. :) But he likes it too. It is hands down, the best chocolate cake I've ever had.

Ingredients:
7 eggs, separated
1/2 cup baking cocoa
3/4 cup boiling water
1-3/4 cups cake flour
1-3/4 cups sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

In a bowl, combine cocoa and water until smooth; cool for 20 minutes. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. (Tip: the recipe calls for cake flour but if you want to use all purpose flour, subtract 3 tablespoons and 1-1/2 teaspoons.) Add the oil, egg yolks, vanilla, and cocoa mixture. Beat until well blended.



In another large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form. It should look something like this.



Gradually and gently fold into chocolate mixture.

Pour batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake on lowest rack at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely.

And now for the best part- the icing! I love lots of icing, so I doubled what the original recipe recommended. This way, it covers the entire cake and leaves a little left over so I can lick the bowl. :)

Icing:
2/3 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 tablespoons hot water

Melt butter in a saucepan. (Or the microwave.) Remove from the heat; stir in the powdered sugar, chocolate, vanilla and water. Drizzle over cake.

Last but not least, PIG OUT.


You could add chopped nuts on top if you'd like, but it's awesome just like this.


Happy Birthday, Jesse!


What a cutie pie. :)

3 comments:

  1. Looks delish! Found your blog the other day, I adore you taste. Enjoy the hubs bday and a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! I am cuting and pasting this so I can make it for my honey. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. giosmama26@yahoo.comJuly 11, 2010 at 3:29 PM

    Hello-
    New to your blog and I love it dearly. Your home is amazing. I look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete